generated by sloganizer.net

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Thursday, May 31, 2007

May 31st - I'm the babysitter today!

Staying home w/ Maddie for the day. Shannon's sister (our cousin) Tara is getting married in Georgia this weekend and she's gone from yesterday till next Tuesday. Bob had yesterday, I have today, my mom has tomorrow, Bob's parents have Monday, Bob's sister has Tuesday morning and I have Tuesday afternoon. I'm a little nervous.

See, Maddie doesn't really eat these days. Yes, that's what I said. She doesn't eat without a fight - often a major one - because she's still got this lovely reflux problem. It's awful, she's so pitiful sometimes. She's actually not spitting up all that much lately, but boy is she unhappy when you're trying to feed her. Her Dr. changed her meds from Zantac to Prevacid - I'm not thrilled about the idea of medicating an infant, but here we are. Prevacid can take up to 2 weeks to change things. What we're looking for, basically, is Maddie happily chugging down more than 3 oz. without arching her back and wailing. We have to get about 20 oz. into her daily, and while a normal baby could easily clear that by early afternoon, we're not so lucky. 20 oz. is a good day. And I usually get a stomach ache myself, worrying about her, and what all this feeding drama is doing to her. Speech delays, developmental delays, growth problems (she didn't gain an ounce from 5 months to 6 months...this isn't good.) plus God knows what's going through her little head, with Mommy and Daddy practically force-feeding her or shoveling rice cereal mixed with formula into her mouth whenever she opens it a crack. Like MY kid would need any help with eating issues. *sigh* It's worry worry worry, I tell ya. But we switched formulas yesterday, and we have another week till we can really assess how the Prevacid is working. Meanwhile, we're taking it a day, and an ounce, at a time.

Wait, wasn't I going to be the mom who took it all in stride, who never freaked out, knew what to do all the time, and certainly NEVER worried? Very few times in my life have I ever had absolutely no idea what to do, and very little or NO places to find out the answer. Why does my DVD player have a more effective owner's manual than my baby? And don't tell me about What to Expect When You're Expecting That book only applies if you're breastfeeding a text-book baby who never gets sick beyond a cute little fever and some diaper rash...my formula-fed baby has yet to be actually sick, I should mention. No colds, no flu, nadda. Not that I'm bragging. (Take that, La Leche League Nazis!)

I had a pretty fast, uneventful day. Maddie ate reasonably well. We're up to 15 oz. right now, which means we only have to get 5 more into her, and I'm pretty sure we can do that without too much drama tonight. I just straightened up, folded and put away the baby laundry, did the dishes, and took care of the girlie. I also posted on the baby's blog, uploaded pics to Photobucket and made a new slideshow (check it out!!!), "watched" half of the 3rd season of the Golden Girls...ie, left it on all day while doing stuff around the house...I was going to go to Target and drop Tara's wedding gift off at Bob's mom's house, but Maddie's naps and actual willingness to take a bottle dictated otherwise. So I stayed home, all day. Wow...

I'm going to attempt to convince Bob that we really need to go out for ice cream or water ice or something tonight, since it's so hot. Seriously, it's very very necessary. Both for getting-out-of-the-house reasons, and general yumminess.

School: 15 more days. And counting.

No comments: