generated by sloganizer.net

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Monday, August 06, 2007

August 6th - Blog > Sleep

That's right, I find it more important to 'get around to blogging' than I do to sleep. I never sleep much when I go to bed before Bob anyway. Lay up there watching TV or reading. May as well have done that downstairs.

Spent 15 minutes searching for fancier blogger templates, found one, decided it was too much work to upload all those files to photobucket and reassign all the images in the html. I barely understand how to change colors using html. Not happening right now.

Finally saw Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix. Liked it. At its best points it felt like a really good movie, and at its worst points it felt like a video book report on the novel. "Highlights from HP5, tonight at 11." Loved Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange. Very pleasant surprise (I do no research on movies, I think the kid who plays Harry is named Dan. Because Regis kept calling him Harry during the interview I caught, and the kid had to remind him - and a million 10 year olds - that he is indeed a real person named Dan) and the film was enjoyable too. What can you do, with a huge novel like that? You have to gloss over things. Why you have to add dusty smoke as people apparate is beyond me, since they never seemed to stir up much dust in the 4 previous movies. The effect was cool, though. Enjoyed the directing, little intense for kids, but I don't pretend to know what passes as a kids' movie these days. Not like the book read like a Brothers' Grim collection, anyway. Nana (Bob's mom) babysat so we could catch the movie.

Babysitting is another sebject weighing on my mind. We've been invited to the wedding of the son of one of Bob's mom's oldest friends. We see these people once a year at Christmas. Maddie was NOT mentioned on the invite, nor was it addressed to the "D'Errico family", nor are we particularly comfy w/ these folks. Old friends, you can just ask if the reception has high chairs and expect an honest 'yes you can bring her' or 'please leave her home so she doesn't squeal during the vows'. This is a bit different. Bob's whole family is invited, and we've been told, "you just HAVE to come!" It's been suggested that we leave the queen of reflux with Bob's aunt. Eh...not real thrilled w/ the idea, what with her wrestling you during meds time and batting spoons out of your hand and mealtime. She thinks she's cute. We know how to deal with it fine, and we time things out so that her Nana or Gram never have to give her meds. They taste like crap, you'd scream too. And then there's the pro-boxing match that is bottle time. (I do not force feed my kid, readers, it just feels like a constant fight to feed her WITHOUT force-feeding her.) And lately the girl has gotten quite dubious of strangers, and pissy as all get out when Bob or I walk out of the room. It's a stage, it will pass, and we will not raise a sissy. But she's 8 months old, I don't need to be molding her character yet, she won't get it anyhow.
I know his Aunt her own kids and a grandkid, but...I don't know.
And the wedding is the last Saturday of summer the next day being a loooong family gathering day (Crab Day) and frankly...neither of us would shed a tear if we sent a nice gift and enjoyed the last day off of the summer at home as a quiet little family. I doubt the other members of the family will be cool w/ Bob and I not attending because we'd rather not subject Maddie to babysitting and stay home and play on the floor with her and the dog instead.
So, the little voice on my left shoulder says, "You're the mommy, you know best, and you know that it won't go well. She'll be hungry, tired, fussy, unmedicated, and the family of said babysitter will talk for years about how unmanageable your kid is. Plus, it's the last day of summer. Stay home." The little voice on my right shoulder says, "It's not really about taking the easy way out, it's an obligation to go to this wedding if you can go, and the rest of the family wants you to. Besides, the absolute worst that can happen is that she won't eat all day, won't sleep all day/evening, she'll spit out all her medicine, and scream at everyone till they call you to come pick her up and then she'll have a 'bad' rep for a while. Everybody will live through it, no big deal, and maybe you'll both be better about babysitters in the future."
*Why should I make my kid uncomfortable in an unfamiliar situation for no good reason other than the fact that it would be nice if we could attend this wedding? (Nice for other people, that is.)
*Then again, why do I balk at the possibility of one day's worth of her being hungry, tired, and miserable... when it might all go just fine?
Therein lies my debate.

Presto-chango-subject0:
Summer just keeps plugging a long. I'm disgusted w/ how little I've exercised and how much I've snacked. The To-Do list is less than acceptable, but we're slowly but surely catching up. With the exception of our inability to get down to the boardwalk one more time (one night Maddie had a high fever for no reason, and one night it was weather), things are going nicely. And now, my family is visiting.

Mom is brining Grandmom and Pappy for a visit on Wednesday. I feel the need to entertain and make sure everybody is happy. Moreso because they usually treat us to dinner somewhere nice (or Peter's which is more than nice for us), and bring gifts for the girlie. So I feel like I should do what my guests want. We are not, I repeat, NOT going to go down the shore with them, though. I am digging my toes in for this one. Mom has this obsession with the beach, and Grandmom hasn't been in years. It is NOT fun to bring a baby and the tons of crap a baby requires down there, haul it across the sand, set it all up, and have her not nap, not play, and no enjoy herself for 2 hours, then haul it all back. No no no no no we are NOT going with them to the beach, final answer. Other than that, they get what they want for the duration. Grandmom stresses Mom out, and when Mom gets stressed out, she has the uncanny ability to transfer that stress to me. My stomach is already tight thinking about it. Wish me luck. And no, mother, we are not coming along down to the beach. No. (Pray to God I stand firm on this. We just got the sand out of the pack & play from the last trip.)

Well, it's 11, I'm exhausted, my contacts are more trouble than they're worth at this point, and it's time to go to bed. Blogging is no longer more important that sleep. Significantly less. *Night*

No comments: