generated by sloganizer.net

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11th - The Mall, the Wallet, and the Babies

Had a very nice time today, despite my own subconscious attempts to screw things up and embarrass myself. But I'm getting ahead here.

I got to the mall first, and it was so empty, except for the hundreds of mommies with babies in strollers. It was like the Graco Stroller Show. See all the latest models! Well, school's back in unless you're in my district, and it's 11AM. Of course there's nobody but mommies (and a few old people) here.

Met Stacey & her twins at the mall, Steph came too (computer teacher) with her very cute 3 year-old, Amy. We walked a bit, got lunch at a Mexican place - Mmmm taco salad...- and we were finishing up lunch while the babies were getting fussy. Stacey went to change Sophia, and I got a call on my cell phone from Bob.

"Do you have your wallet?" Is this one of those 'is your refrigerator running' questions?

"Yes, I think so" Checked. Holy crap. My wallet's not in my purse. Where's my wallet???

"The information desk at the mall has it. Some woman picked it up at the restaurant you ate at and she's bringing it there. She called me."

HOLY CRAP.

So I go down to the info desk, not far away, morbidly embarrassed and freaking out that I've lost my wallet...and I NEVER carry cash, except for when I lose my wallet, so of course there's cash in there. Not much, but enough that I didn't care to lose it!

It's not there. Nope, they haven't seen it. I leave my name and number and ask them to call me if and when this woman who called Bob actually brings it in. I turn around, feeling like the big irresponsible idiot that I can sometimes be...and they're going to let me take home an infant when I can't keep my own wallet on me? Then this young woman with a baby carrier on her arm comes up to me and asks if I'm Megan.

Yep, she found the wallet at the counter at the Mexican joint, and was going to leave it at information but forgot while she was shopping w/ her baby, drove all the way to Blackwood with it, realized what she'd done, called Bob's number she got from the emergency card in my wallet, and came all the way back and was just about to leave it at the desk for real this time. I thanked her PROFUSELY, and was sorry I only had a little cash in my wallet, cause I'd have happily given her some kind of reward - she wouldn't take anything, of course, cause there ARE decent people out there, and thank God one of them picked up my wallet. I told her her baby was beautiful and she asked when I was due and we talked a few seconds and then I ran back upstairs to our table. VERY relieved. It was literally less than 5 minutes from the time I knew it was gone until the time it was back in my hands. Thank GOD for honest, decent people. I didn't even ask her name. She had a tattoo on her arm that said "Zac" though...sure, THAT I remember. And her kid looked to be a boy about 2 months old.

I had been juggling my purse, my salad, and Stacey's twin-sized stroller, and had apparently laid the wallet on the counter to readjust everything before I went to our table, and never managed to pick the wallet back up. But it's safe and sound, in my purse. Again, thank Heaven for good people!

We walked around the mall, didn't go in a single store, just walked and talked. Eventually Steph took Amy home, and Stacey and I gave the twins each a bottle - I got to bottle-feed a baby! Damn, they suck hard! Seriously, I'm understanding how breastfeeding is going to hurt like Hell. That little girl had a hold on that bottle and she did NOT let up. Of course, I'm quite awkward holding a baby, especially with this ever-expanding belly which allows you very little lap room. And Sophia likes to jerk her head around all the time, to look at stuff. Stacey said she was over-stimulated today. Too many people, too much neon. She finished most of the bottle, and I successfully burped her, too! Feeling quite good about that. All this care and maintenance stuff is still a little daunting. Stacey just kept reassuring me that if she could get it, I could get it. And heck, SHE has TWO of them!

We walked out to our cars and Stacey gave me 2 bags of diapers and a large bin of baby clothes. She showed me a few cute things that she particularly liked, most of which had belonged to Sophia. She gave me some of Kevin's old stuff, too, though, because she said she knows that I'm "one of the few people who realize that girls CAN wear blue!" I was quite happy to get them...since I'm basically going to take back any excess clothes we get at the shower and turn them into practical things like a breast pump. Nobody wants to buy the breast pump off of someone's registry, have you noticed that? Anyway, now I'm well-stocked. That helps sooo much.

When I got home I sat and recuperated for a while (cause I'm a wussy-assed pregnant chick and walking a mall for 3 hours is a long day's work for me.) Then it was baby clothes time! I laid them all out on the love seat to show Bob when he gets home from work. I'll post a pic later if I can...Picasa is weird with this new version of Blogger.

Anyway, from Stacey, we now have:
  • 2 Swaddlers - weirdly shaped blankets w/ velcro, helps you wrap them tight.
  • 1 Blanket Sleeper - instead of a blanket, cause you don't use them in the beginning.
  • 3 Sleep Gowns
  • 14 Footie Sleepers - remember footie pajamas?
  • 3 Long-Sleeved Creepers - Like a long shirt that snaps between the legs for diaper access.
  • 16 Onsies - like an undershirt with snaps between the legs
  • 4 Creepers
  • 12 Long-Sleeved Shirts
  • 5 Short-Sleeved Shirts
  • 5 Pairs of Infant Mittens - so they don't scratch their little faces w/ those nails that I'm afraid to cut
  • 15 Pairs of the tiniest socks you've ever seen
  • 300 diaper disposal bags - my cheap answer to the super-expensive diaper genie.
  • 4 Pacifier Keepers - like a tiny plastic purse to clip onto stuff, holds pacifiers, keeps 'em clean
  • 1 Bunny Pacifier Clip - the tiny stuffed bunny clips to her shirt, a ribbon holds the clip to the end of the pacifier, so she never drops it on the floor.
GOD I love having friends. It took a while, having moved here from PA and knowing NObody. But it really is lovely. Aside from the entertainment of getting out of the house and having some fun conversation with intelligent women I like, I get baby experience and hand-me-downs galore. Stacey really has her hands full with those two, but they tried for so long to get them, and they are SO precious. It's nice that she's not a baby-hog with 'em (never lets you hold her kid, over-mothering, etc.) Kevin got VERY cranky towards the end, pretty much wailed for the whole mall to hear when he decided he'd had enough walk-around time for today, thankyouverymuch.

I facetiously told Stace I'd hold onto all the baby clothes for when she & Rich decide they're ready for their third kid. She told me, very sweetly, to f*ck off. ;-)

No comments: