generated by sloganizer.net

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker

Monday, August 07, 2006

August 7th

We didn't end up going to the shore today. We had a little shopping excursion in Deptford, instead. See, Bob's brother Nick bougt a Creative Zen Vision: M MP3 player - $300, and better than the new iPod. Nick buys a lot of stuff because what else do you do when you have a decent income and live at home, rent-free? Bob, Mr. Frugal w/ money responsibilities out the yin-yang, never buys anything. I think the last thing he bought for himself (non-clothing) was the laptop, and that was a business expense, and a year ago. Seriously, the boy pinches pennies on everything, but we have a house and a nice life because of it, so whatever.

He's been very sweet and taken really good care of me & my mood swings and food whims and achey back and gestational diabetes. He also wanted that Zen Vision: M player like crazy. He blogged all about it last night. This morning I just said to him,
"You know what? Buy it."

I know, we're having a baby, we're supposed to be saving money. But he works so hard, he got a $600 stipend for writing Pennsville's marching band show, and I told him we're not going to have the chance to buy ANYTHING like this again for a while - Go take half the stipend and buy the Zen thingy. I mean, I get all this baby stuff. Yes I know it's his baby too. But something in those pregnancy hormones switches something on in your brain and makes you NUTS for baby crap. Seriously, Babies-R-Us was a YAWN for me until this spring. Now whenever we see Bob's mom she's got baby outfits, my mom called to say she bought 6 new onesies for baby, then there's the baby shower before she's born, and all the little gifts when somebody visits - it's like freakin' Christmas in slow motion for me. And while Bob does enjoy the toys and gadgets - what guy doesn't like to push that button and make the toy sing that song for 80th time? - it's not the same for him. So this is his treat.

And of course that meant that he woudl DIE if he didn't get to A) buy it today and B) play with it today. So the shore was out of the question. On the other side of the deal was that we got to go shopping wherever I wanted in Deptford. Lucky for him I can't shop for hours anymore. After about an hour my back starts to hurt. By 2 hours I'm scanning every store for a chair. We ended up going to Best Buy and picking up the Zen, then cruising every aisle of A. C. Moore for good stuff, baby's room furnishing, and I wanted a flag for September. Then we hit Babies-R-Us, where he parked in a glider chair (that was nowhere near as comfy as the chair we bought, he said) and I browsed everything and ended up buying a diaper bag. Possibly may be taking it back, not sure.

Tangent: It's a Graco, same green as our stroller, carseat/carrier, and pack&play. I really want to be able to carry this bag in place of a purse (possibly just having a small zip-bag with all my purse stuff in it that I can pop into the diaper bag). Because it took me till mid-college to consent to even carrying a damn purse. So the ones that look like large black purses were appealing to me. And so was this one. But this is a large, green, quilted bag. Not exactly go-with-every-outfit material. I know, it sounds stupid and shallow. But I REALLY like this bag. OH well. We'll see. Baby Depot had nothing. All cutesy crappy bags with cartoon characters.

So anyway, Bob got his player, I got my bag, and we kind of puttered the rest of the day. We made dinner a little earlier than usual and went swimming till about 8:30. Then it's the usual, computer/TV time till bed. I know, we're wild ones. I have a feeling the rest of the world is in the same rut and there's actually like 3 people out there who go clubbing or go to concerts in the park or museums or whatever.
Hey, next Monday we're going to the Franklin Institute in Philly. So there.

No comments: